- It has land borders with Thailand, Indonesia and Brunei and is linked to Singapore by a narrow causeway. It also has maritime boundaries with Vietnam and the Philippines.
- It's official language is Bahasa Malaysia and its currency is called the Ringgit (worth about 34 cents)
- The largest city is Kuala Lumpur
- It has a population of about 28 million
- On August 31, 2011 Malaysians will celebrate the 55th anniversary of independence from the United Kingdom
So, what kind of food is served in Malaysia? Well, we're about to find out!
Join the troops of the Napa Guerilla Gay Bar (as well as our friends from the Vallejo Gay Network) when we invade Asian Wok & Grill (110 West American Canyon Road, American Canyon) on Saturday, August 27 from 1 to 3 pm for a Malaysian Independence Day lunch celebration.
The event will be hosted by Chef Eddie Chong - a Malaysian ex-pat and his partner Gregg Liebgold. They're working with the owners of Asian Wok and Grill to put on a spread worthy of celebration. Here's the planned menu:
- Rojak Tanjong (Mixed vegetable and fruit salad with Malaysian sweet soy dressing)
- Hainanese Crispy Chicken with spice salt
- Melaka Chicken Rice (Chef Eddie says "you will be surprised"!)
- KL Hotpot Vegetable Deluxe
- and maybe some additional surprises!
The celebration will be a family-style sit-down affair. Please RSVP by Thursday, August 25 so we can make sure the restaurant has enough food for everyone. You can either use the Facebook event page or let us know through the Napa Guerilla Gay Bar RSVP email address (rsvp(at)napagaybar.com)
How do you dress for such a celebration? You can always come casual but if you really want to get into the swing you might consider pulling that sarong, batik or Hawaiian shirt out of the closet!